Sitting at the base of the Sawtooth Mountains, Stanley is the perfect location for a vacation. The Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho have 42 peaks, which rise 10,000 feet or more, and over 300 lakes scattered through out the mountains. Any visit to Stanley and the surrounding area will give you life long memories of a spectacular visit.
There is much to see and do in the area. You can whitewater raft down the Salmon River, fish, hunt, snowmobile, cross-country ski, snowshoe, mountain climb, bike, hike, camp, backpack, horseback ride and so much more.
Summer activities include
- Boating – Travel to one of the nearby lakes - Redfish, Stanley, Alturas - for a relaxing canoe paddle, motor boat ride, water skiing, or an afternoon just relaxing in the sun and sand.
- Camping – What better way to enjoy your natural surroundings than to totally immerse yourself in them. Set against the backdrop of the majestic Sawtooth Mountains, Stanley is a camper’s paradise. Hundreds of campsites are available, including several on popular Redfish Lake and Stanley Lake.
- Fishing - Stanley Basin lakes and streams offer wonderful fishing in a beautiful setting. Catch your breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is truly fresh food! Be sure to check with the Idaho State Game and Fish for the rules and regulations for any particular fishing activity.
- Hiking – Climb to a high alpine lake or just part way. The view is spectacular from every point.
- Hunting – You can hunt in the area for trophy elk, mule dear, cougar, bear or mountain goat. Be sure to check with the Idaho State Game and Fish for the rules and regulations for any particular hunting activity.
- Horseback riding – Live out your cowboy dreams with a trail ride. Stanley cowboys not only lead great trail rides; they can two-step you around the dance floor at the weekly Stanley Stomp.
- Mountain biking - Pound the back roads or back woods' trails on your mountain bike.
- Rafting - Take a ride on the rapids of the “River of No Return”. However, don’t worry; everyone seems to make it back okay.
- Scenic Drives – Take a road trip and enjoy the fantastic views as you travel over mountains and through wide valleys. Expect to see the white clouds resting like powder puffs along the high peaks of the Sawtooth Mountains.
- Wildflower viewing – Take a stroll through the meadow wildflowers and enjoy not only the sight of the natural colors but breathe in their inviting fragrance, too.
- Wildlife viewing – You can spend the afternoon watching the wildlife in their natural home, not in a zoo.
Winter activities include
- Cross-country Skiing – Stanley is an incredible winter wonderland, perfect for a trek through the forests or across the valley on your cross-country skis.
- Snowshoeing – Hiking in the winter is possible with a set of snowshoes. The pristine snow covered landscape is like no other.
- Snowmobiling -Snowmobiling is the #1 winter sport in the Stanley area.
- Telemark Skiing - There is plenty of snow and vertical descend for telemark skiing.
Any time of year is a good time of year to just come, relax and enjoy the solitude of this majestic area.