- The historic points of interest marked along the Wood River Trail System route focus on the history of the railroad in the Wood River Valley.
- You can walk, horseback ride, bike, cross-country ski, and in - line skate or use a wheelchair on the path.
Twenty miles of the Wood River Trail System runs from Bellevue through Hailey to a little north of Ketchum. This section of the Trail System connects to another ten-mile section that heads northeast to Sun Valley.
Constructed over the old railroad route that once serviced the Wood River Valley, the historic points of interest marked along this paved route focus on the history of the railroad and the railroad's impact on the growth and development of the area.
Wood River Trail System
Contact the Blaine County Recreation District at (208) 578-2273 for more information.
- Distance: The distance from Bellevue through Hailey and on to Ketchum is 20 miles. The distance from Ketchum to Sun Valley is 10 miles.
- Average Time of Hike: Time to cover the distance is dependent on your mode of travel. You can walk, horseback ride, bike, cross-country ski, and in - line skate or use a wheelchair on the path. The Trail System is groomed during the winter months to accommodate cross-country skiers.
- Elevation Gain: As you head north along the Trail there is a minimal increase in elevation. Of more concern is the wind factor. Suggest you check wind direction and velocity before you bike here – the nature of the valley channels the wind the same direction as the trail. Local weather effects tend to give the area a northerly wind at night and in the morning and a southerly wind in the afternoon and evening.
- Difficulty: Easy. Great paved path without much shade
There are many historic points of interest along the way focusing on the railroad history.
Many locals refer to the Wood River Trail System as the "bike path".